Here are few unknown and lesser known facts about Australia.
With a population of more than 20 million, Australia is one of the wealthiest countries and is also in practice of an independent democracy. Majority of its population resides in major cities of the country. One of the amazing facts about Australia is that it is an island and is surrounded by more than 8000 smaller islands.
- Driest inhabited continent: – The interior part of the region lies dry where there is lowest rainfalls in the world. The nation falls between 10 degree to 39 degree south latitude. However, its fertile areas are well watered to maintain its fertility in order to feed rest of the world.
- Language and Dialects: – Australia has a mixed combination of languages where more than 200 different languages are spoken. The most common non-English languages are Vietnamese, Greek, Italian, Cantonese, Arabic and Mandarin.
- Outstanding Economy: – Interestingly, Australia stands to the higher position when comparing the total wealth to that of the world. Its total wealth is 64 trillion dollars around 1.74% of the world economy. With low inflation recorded, the markets are absolutely suitable to invest in various sectors.
- Highest population of Camels: – Australia has the highest population of feral camels in the world. About 1 million feral camels roam in Australia, and are even exported to Saudi Arabia.
- Largest ocean territory: – It has world’s 3rd largest ocean territory, spanning three oceans and covering around 12 million square kilometers.
- Number of beaches: – Australia has more than 10,000 beaches in all and as per calculations if one visits one new beach every day, it would take over 27 years to see them all. There is also a major attraction to its water body, a pink bubblegum like lake spreads its uniqueness. Lake Hillier on Middle island has a lake of which water appears to be pink in colour. This strangest aspect has kept scientists speculate various reasons for it.
- Australia’s first cops were all criminals: – Australia’s first police force was a band of eight of the most well behaved criminals.
- Disappearance of 1st Prime Minister: – Former Prime Minister of Australia Harold Holt went for a swim at Cheviot Beach, and was never seen again.
- A small country within Australia: – The 75 sqkm Principality of Hutt River is a micro nation within Australia. Hutt River issues its own currency, stamps, and passport.
- One of the largest countries: – It is the 6th largest country in the world, occupying an entire continent of some 7.6 million square kilometers.