The origin of Kerala is associated with the princely states of Travancore and Cochin. The linguistic preferences compelled the maps of Indian states to bring changes and in 1956, the states Reorganisation Act redrew India’s map and the present-day state of Kerala was incepted which comprised of solely Malayalam speaking districts.
The head of the state was elected as the Chief Minister of the state and following is the list of Chief Minister of Kerala.
- M. S. Namboodiripad : – Namboodiripad is the 1st Chief Minister of Kerala. He was the first non-congress chief minister in the Indian Republic.Namboodiripad served as the CM of Kerala twice from 5 April 1957 to 31 July 1959; 6 March 1967 to 1 November 1969. He belonged to Communist Party of India.
- Pattom A. Thanu Pillai : – Pattom Pillai was the 2nd Chief Minister of Kerala. One of the most popular political leaders in Kerala Pillai was known as the ‘Bhishmacharya’ of Kerala politics. He has served as CM of Kerala from 22 February 1960 to 25 September 1962. He belonged to Praja Socialist Party.
- Sankar : – Sankar was the third CM of Kerala, and has also served as the Deputy Chief Minister of Kerala. He has held his office of CM from 26 September 1962 to 10 September 1964. He was the first CM of the Indian National Congress.
- Achutha Menon : – Menon was the fourth CM of Kerala. He was the Chief Minister for the state of Kerala for two terms. Menon was the only politician of Kerala who has adorned the Chief Minister ship for two consecutive terms.His term as CM of Kerala was from 1 November 1969 to 1 August 1970; 4 October 1970 to 25 March 1977.He belonged to the Communist Party of India (Marxist).
- Karunakaran : – Karunakaran was one of the most powerful politicians in Kerala and has served for four terms as the CM of Kerala. Karunakaran, the founder of United Democratic Front (UDF) and coalition government system of Kerala. He was in office from 25 March 1977 to 25 April 1977; 28 December 1981 to 17 March 1982; 24 May 1982 to 25 March 1987; 24 June 1991 to 16 March 1995. He belonged to the Indian National Congress.
- K. Antony : – Antony has served two terms as the Defense Minister of India and has served three terms as the CM of Kerala. One of the top 5 famous political leaders in Kerala, Antony has served as CM from 27 April 1977 to 27 October 1978; 22 March 1995 to 9 May 1996 and 17 May 2001 to 29 August 2004. He belonged to the Indian National Congress.
- K. Vasudevan Nair : – Popularly known as PKV, was the 9th Chief Minister of Kerala. The most popular political leaders in Kerala, Vasudevan was the founder- president of the Travancore Students Union. He held his office from 29 October 1978 to 7 October 1979. He belonged to the Communist Party of India.
- H. Mohammed Koya : – Koya was an Indian politician and was the 10th Chief Minister of Kerala. He served as the CM of Kerala from 12 October 1979 to 1 December 1979. Koya represented the Indian Union Muslim League.
- K. Nayanar : – Nayanar was the Chief Minister of Kerala for three times and holds the tag of being the longest serving CM of Kerala. He held the office for a long span of 11 years as CM. he was CM from 25 January 1980 to 20 October 1981; 26 March 1987 to 17 June 1991; 20 May 1996 to 13 May 2001. He belonged to the Communist Party of India (Marxist).
- Oommen Chandy : – One of the most famous politicians in Kerala, Chandy has served as the Chief Minister of Kerala for two successful terms. Chandy was a close associate of Rahul Gandhi and was also appointed as the General Secretary of All India Congress Committee in crucial state of Andhra Pradesh. Chandy served as the CM of Kerala from 31st August 2004 to 12 May 2006; 18 May 2011 to 20 May 2016. He belonged to the Indian National Congress.
- S. Achuthanandan : – One of the founding leaders of the Communist Party of India (Marxist), Achuthanandan played a major role in building party cadre in the state of Kerala. He served as the Chief Minister of Kerala from 18 May 2006 to 14 May 2011 he belonged to the CPI (M).
- Pinarayi Vijayan : – Pinarayi Vijayan is the 12thand the current Chief Minister of Kerala. He was the longest serving secretary of the Kerala State Committee of the CPI (M). One of the most popular politicians in Kerala, Vijayan is serving his term of CM from 25 May 2016 till date. He belongs to the Communist Party of India (Marxist).
31 July 1959 to 22 February 1960
10 September 1964 to 6 March 1967
4 August 1970 to 3 October 1970
5 December 1979 to 25 January 1980
21 October 1981 to 28 December 1981
17 March 1982 to 23 May 1982