Pakistan features a multi-party democracy. However, there has been military government interference in the country’s politics at times. Pakistan’s Parliament is bicameral that consists of the Senate and National Assembly.
Read on to know about the most popular parties in Pakistan.
- Tehreek-e-Insaf- Counted among the prominent national parties in Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf was formed in 1996 by former captain of Pakistan’s National Cricket Team- Imran Khan. The party claims to create a welfare, egalitarian, modern, and Islamic democratic state.
- Pakistan Muslim League- Founded by the Mohammad Ali Jinnah, Pakistan Muslim League is one of the largest political parties in Pakistan. However, now the party is subdivided into various groups. The ideologies of this party include Conservatism, Fiscal Conservatism, Economic Liberalism, and Nationalism.
- Awami National Party- The Awami National Party came into existence in 1986 with Abdul Wali Khan as its founder. It is a secular party promoting democratic socialism, Pashtun nationalism, economic egalitarianism, and public sector government.
- Pakistan People’s Party- PPP was launched as a democratic socialist party, in 1967 by Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto. Listed among the major political parties in Pakistan the party claims to follow the principles of social democracy, progressivism, and Islamic socialism.
- Jamiat-e-Ulema-e-Islam (F) – Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam is a theocratic, ultra-conservative religious party formed in 1988 by Mufti Mahmud. The party follows the ideologies of Islamism, Religious conservatism, Clericalism and Social conservatism.
- Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) – Founded by Altaf Hussain in 1978 the Muttahida Qaumi Movement holds great support of Sindh’s urban Muhajir community. Its ideology of creating a democratic and socially liberal state has made it one of the most popular parties in Pakistan.
- Jamaat-e-Islami- Next in the list of political parties in Pakistan is the Jamaat-e-Islami, which was founded in 1941 by a reputed Muslim philosopher and theologian Abul Ala Maududi. The party’s aims at creating Islamic democracy in the country and implement the Sharia law.
- Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) – Next in the list of top 10 national parties in Pakistan is the Pakistan Awami Tehrik. It’s a religiously moderate, politically radical, and ideologically centrist political party.
- Tehreek e Islami- Tehreek e Islami is a revolutionary religious political party of Pakistan. The popular Islamic scholar and author-Naeem Siddiqui founded the part in 1994. The party aims at turning Pakistan into a developed Islamic state with implementation of the Sharia law.
- Sindh Taraqi Pasand Party (STP) – Dr Qadir Magsi founded this nationalist political party in 1991. This is one of the main political parties of the country with focus on eliminating economic exploitation, fascist terrorism, and despotism from Pakistan.