The Communist Party of India (Marxist) (shortened CPI (M)) is an eminent communist party in India. The party appeared from a divided from the Communist Party of India in 1964. The CPI (M) was founded at the Seventh Congress of the Communist Party of India seized in Calcutta from 31 October to 7 November 1964. As of 2018, CPI(M) is heading the state government in Kerala and having elected members in 8 state legislative assemblies including Kerala, West Bengal, Tripura, Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Jammu & Kashmir, and Rajasthan. It also operates as the West Bengal Left Front.
Prominent Communist Party leader in West Bengal
Famous political leaders in Communist Party in West Bengal has ruled over many years in West Bengal as well as the party’s leaders have supported to the inhabitants of the states and provided them many great opportunities to develop and prosper in their specific area of interest.
- Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee: Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee is a famous political leader of Communist Party of India from the state of West Bengal. He is also a former member of the politburo of the Communist Party of India. He is ex- Chief Minister of West Bengal from 2000 to 2011.
- Sitaram Yechury: Sitaram Yechury is a top politician of the Communist Party of West Bengal. He was nominated as its General Secretary on 19 April 2015. He is an active member of the Politburo of the Communist Party of India and was the party’s Parliamentary group leader.
- Tapan Kumar Sen: Tapan Kumar Sen is a leading political leader from the Communist Party of India (Marxist) in West Bengal. He is also and a Member of the Parliament of India and now represents West Bengal in the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian Parliament.
- Prakash Karat: Prakash Karat is a prominent communist party political leader in West Bengal. He is a former General Secretary of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) from 2005 to 2015.
- Brinda Karat: Brinda Karat is a well-known politician of communist party from the state of West Bengal. He was elected to the Rajya Sabha as a Communist Party of India (Marxist) CPI(M) member, on 11 April 2005 for West Bengal.
- Nilotpal Basu: Nilotpal Basu is an eminent political leader from Communist party in West Bengal. He is a former Member of Parliament, and also representing West Bengal in the Rajya Sabha the upper house of India’s Parliament. Also he is a member of the Communist Party of India (Marxist).