Afghanistan follows a multi-party system where the government is formed in coalition with numerous political parties. So far, no one party could gain the power alone in the country. Hence, all the parties work together in unity. Most importantly, all parties must abide by the rules of Islamic morality.
Here is the list of most popular national political parties in Afghanistan-
- National United Party of Afghanistan – This is one of the prominent political parties in Afghanistan that was formed in August 2003 by Nur ul-Haq Ulumi a PDPA ex-member. The ideologies of this party include Secularism, Socialism, Progressivism, and Feminism. At present, Engineer Bahadur Ayubi leads the party.
- Solidarity party of Afghanistan – Headquartered in Kabul the Solidarity party of Afghanistan was founded in April 2004. Acting as the left-wing political party this party was follows the ideologies of Democratic socialism, Secularism, Democratic reform, Social democracy, Gender Equality and Anti-Imperialism
- Hizb ut-Tahrir – Next in the list of national political parties of Afghanistan Hizb ut-Tahrir- a pan-Islamist, international organization founded in 1953 by Taqiuddin al-Nabhani. Ata Abu Rashta is its current leader. Its ideologies include Pan-Islamism, Islamism, and Salafism.
- Hezb-e Islami – Founded in 1975 by Gulbuddin Hekmatyar Hezb-e Islami is next in the list of famous list of political parties in Afghanistan. Following the Islamic ideology, this party is running under leadership of Arghandiwal currently.
- Jamiat-e Islami – Counted among the major political party names in Afghanistan Jamiat-e-Islami came into existence in 1972 with the efforts of Burhanuddin Rabbani. The ideologies of the party are Islamism and Communitarism. This party aims to maintain Afghan Tajik interests under the leadership of Salahuddin Rabbani.
- Harakat-e Islami-yi- Harakat-e Islami-yi is next in the list of political parties in Afghanistan. Founded in 1978 by Muhammad Asif Mohseni this party is former faction of Afghanistan’s United Front. The party followed Shariati thought initially. Led by Said Mohammad Ali Jawid, this party follows Shia Islamism ideology.
- Hizb-e Wahdat-e Islami – Hizb-e Wahdat-e Islami is one of the major political parties in Afghanistan that came into existence in 1989 with Abdul Ali Mazari as its founding member. The party boasts to follow Shia Islamism. It primarily works for Hazara minority rights. The party’s current leader is former Vice-President of Afghanistan- Karim Khalili.
- Afghan Millat – One of the most popular national parties in Afghanistan, Afghan Millat is a Pashtun national political party of the country. The party aims to follow social democratic ideology. Founded in 1966, this party runs under the leadership of Stanagul Sherzad currently.
- Ittehad-I Islami Bara-yi Azadi- Founded in 2005 as a political party with Maiwand Safa as its General Secretary Ittehad-I Islami Bara-yi Azadi stands as one of the most prominent political parties in Afghanistan. Following Islamic, Tajik and Pashtun interests, currently Abdul Rasul Sayyaf is leading this party.
- Junbish-i-Milli Islami –The former Vice-President of Afghanistan- Abdul Rashid Dostum founded this party in 1992. Junbish-i-Milli Islami follows secularism and works for the Uzbek and Turkmen interests.