In Tripura, both National and Regional political parties exist. Following are the famous political parties in Tripura.
Major National Parties: – The Indian National Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party are the two major political parties in Tripura.
Indian National Congress seemed to be in an oversee mood as per the party’s election preparations in the state of Tripura, which led to its defeat. Congress was in anyway maintained in the opposition for 25 years. Not a single seat has been obtained by Congress In the state of Tripura.
On the other hand, efforts of BJP in Tripura paid off as it stormed to victory in the tiny state ending the 25 year rule of the Communist Party of India (Marxist). Of the 59 Assembly seats, BJP and its ally Indigenous People’s front of Tripura (IPFT) bagged 43. BJP won 35 seats and IPFT won eight.
Minor National Level Parties
- Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPM): – The Communist party in India was formed at the seventh Congress of the Communist Party of India held in Calcutta from 31 October to 7 November 1964. Political ideologies followed are Communism, Marxism-Leninism.
- Communist Party of India (CPI): – The foundation day as per data provided by the party is 26 December 1925. The political position is of Left-wing to Far-left. Political ideologies followed are Communism, Marxism-Leninism.
Minor State-Level Parties
- All India Forward Bloc (AIFB):- A faction within the Indian National Congress, AIFB is a left-wing nationalist political party.
- Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP): – Founded on 19 March 1940, the party has its roots in the Bengali Liberation Movement, Anushilan Samiti and the Hindustan Socialist Republican Army.
- Trinamool Congress (TMC): – Founded in 1 January 1998, TMC is a breakaway faction of the Indian National Congress.
- Indigenous Peoples Front of Tripura (IPFT-NC)
- Indigenous People’s Front of Tripura (Tipraha) (IPFT-T)
- Indigenous Nationalist Party of Twipra (INPT)
- National Conference of Tripura (NCT)
- National Socialist Party of Tripura (NSPT) (ALLIANCE PARTNER OF Left Front)
- Tipraland State Party (TSP)
- Tripura Peoples Front (TPF) OF Patal Kanya Jamatia
- Twipra Dophani Sikla Srwngnai Motha (TDSSM)
- Janganotantrik Morcha (TGM)
- Ganamukti Parishad (GMP) (Affiliate of CPM)
Defunct Political Parties
- Tripura Upajati Juba Samiti (TUJS) (MERGED WITRH Indigenous Nationalist Party of Tripura)
- Tripura National Volunteers (TNV) (Merged with Indigenous Peoples Front of Tripura)
- Tripura Rajya Muslim Praja Majlish (TRMPM)