Mauritius political framework boasts parliamentary democracy. There are three government branches of Mauritius- the Judiciary, the legislative, and the executive, hold the power. Mauritius follows a multi-party system. Its various political leaders have strengthened this island nation both economically and politically.
Read on to know about the most popular Mauritian politicians-
- Anerood Jugnauth- Served as both the Prime Minister and President of Mauritius Sir Anerood Jugnauth, has a number of titles in his name including GCSK, PC, KCMG, MP, and QC. Besides being an avid businessperson, he is also representing Piton & Riviere Du Rempart as the Member of Parliament.
- Pravind Jugnauth– Next in the list of Famous Political Leaders in Mauritius is the current Prime Minister of Mauritius. Pravind Kumar Jugnauth assumed the office on 23rd January, 2017. He has also served the country as Minister of Technology, Communication and Innovation and Minister of Finance.
- Navin Ramgoolam- The ex-Prime Minister of Mauritius Navinchandra Ramgoolam, is one of the highly regarded Political Leaders in Mauritius with the honorary titles of GCSK and FRCP. This Mauritian politician served as the Leader of the Opposition from 11 September 2000 to 4 July 2005.
- Barlen Vyapoory- Barlen Vyapoory is the current President of Mauritius. He assumed the office on 23 March 2018. Previously Vyapoory held office in Republic of Mauritius as the High Commissioner to South Africa.
- Ameenah Gurib- Next in the list of most popular leaders in Mauritius is the ex-President of Mauritius. Bibi Ameenah GCSK is a biodiversity scientist, who was appointed as the 6th President of this island nation. She held office from 5 June 2015 – 23 March 2018.
- Maya Hanoomanjee- Counted among the most popular female politicians of Mauritius Santi Bai ‘Maya’ Hanoomanjee also holds the title of GCSK. The former Civil Servant was appointed as speaker of Mauritius’ National Assembly in December 2014.
- Vasant Bunwaree- The ex-Cabinet Minister of Mauritius Vasant Kumar Bunwaree is one of the top leaders in the Mauritius. He served as the Minister of Education from September 2008 to December 2014.
- Louis Serge Clair- Served as the minister of Rodrigues, Louis Serge Clair Chief also acted as the Commissioner of Rodrigues from 2003 to 2006. He is counted among the visionary and charismatic leader of the nation. He abandoned priesthood in the 1960s only to become a highly regarded politician later on.
- Abdool Raouf Bundhun- This famous Mauritius Political Leaders served Mauritius, as the Vice-President from 2002 to 2007. Before assuming the office, he represented Mauritius to France as ambassador. Abdool Raouf Bundhun also served as the member of National Assembly two terms, from 1995 to 2000 and 1967 to 1976.
- Agnès Monique Ohsan Bellepeau – Agnès Monique Ohsan Bellepeau is one of the main political leaders Mauritius who served as the Vice President of this island nation from 2010 to 2016. In addition, she was appointed as the President from 31 March 2012 to 21 July 2012 and 29 May 2015 to 5 June 2015 again.