Jammu and Kashmir is always fought for it is the integral part of India, but the regular and on-going fight of the neighboring country Pakistan highlights that the situation is far more perplexed as it seems so.
For the Government of Jammu and Kashmir has taken it as an acceptable situation. When Pakistan attacked Kashmir showing their support towards the freedom movement of Kashmir, it shows they wanted to own it. When India decided to fight Pakistanis in Kashmir they did it after they made sure that they own it. There are numerous set of complexities which further worsens the situation in the region on all levels.
- The state has three sub-regions, Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh. Of which Jammu and Ladakh has Non-muslim dominance and Kashmir valley Muslims are pre-dominant.
- The region is extremely cold with snow bound, land locked and hilly mountains giving the geography and the terrain and cutting up the portion won’t be easy.
- The strategic hills are important for both India and Pakistan, and also the region carries out Indus water which is extremely crucial for Pakistan and northern India.
- Status of Hindus in Pakistan is far more worrying than situation of Muslims in India. Terrorism. The terrorism on borders of India and Pakistan has termed the region as the most troubled region. The terrorism has affected the regions of northern Pakistan, Afghanistan, Xinjiang of China and the entire Central Asia. Which means an Independent Kashmir can be the breeding ground for the terrorists, as the weak government of Kashmir cannot prevail over lethal terrorists.
- Pandora’s Box. India is a highly heterogeneous country and removing Kashmir could embolden other separatist’s groups all over the nation. This is why India has to be inflexible at times dealing with Kashmir Dispute.
Possibly these scenarios can be working out:
- Formalize the status quo and make the Line of Control into a permanent border. Kashmiri’s may be given the right to decide to an extent. Passing off the tussle to the next generation is certainly not an advisable idea. By being in the democracy, Kashmiris can do a lot for themselves.
- United Nations has also lowered its interest of acknowledging Kashmir crisis as the international dispute to an extent. It’s the neighbors Pakistan which cries to seek international attention and to maintain its relevance.
- Abolish all special status like the article 370 or anything that makes Kashmir different from rest of the nation. If terms of accession were not discussed earlier, with much of the people’s demand of Democracy, India was an acceptable answer.
- Division of Jammu and Kashmir into 3 states like, Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh. This will keep the pro Indian parts of states on the growth path that they are being denied because of corruption.
- Removal of AFSPA will make defense forces accountable to their actions. But will also keep hard on any armed uprising against the state.
- Division of disturbed areas into monitored divisions will maintain borders for each such divisionand an updated technology will help both army and police in the region to maintain peace.
- Freedom to media and freedom of speech will improve lives of people of Kashmir. Strengthening of Democracy and defend State representatives will be of use.
- Polls to be conducted in the monitored areas will assure less violence and give a sense of security to people who don’t want separation. Promoting trade and tourism will bring mutual dependence.
- With these practices on basic level the government can ensure the reduction in the vexed problems in the valley. The introduction of the Digitalized money may avoid transfer of illegal funds and encouraging sports and bringing the civilians into the main stream may ensure revived and improved situations.
- Crafting out good educational institutions and building up of good infrastructures will improve the generations down the line.
- Abrogation of Article 370 is a must and it will take two sessions in both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha as it will enable outside investment in the state of J&K. and dilution pf the population of Jammu and Kashmir. Separate homeland for Kashmiri Pandits along with other religious believers may be an option.
- Inclusion of non-muslims in terms of population is a must in the valley.