- Muslims and the Yadavs are the important base of the Rashtriya Janata Dal
- Rabri Devi Yadav became the first woman Chief Minister of Bihar from the Rashtriya Janata Dal
The Rashtriya Janata Dal (abbreviated as RJD) is an Indian political party, based in the northern state of Bihar. The party was established in 1997 by Lalu Prasad Yadav. The mass base of the party has traditionally been the Yadavs and the Muslims which are the two large and relatively politically active segments of Bihar’s population.In 2008, RJD received the status of recognized national level party due to its performance in the north-eastern states.
Formation of the Rashtriya Janata Dal
On 5 July 1997, Lalu Prasad Yadav, Raghuvansh Prasad Singh, Kanti Singh along with seventeen Lok Sabha MPs and eight Rajya Sabha MPs along with supporters gathered in New Delhj and formed the new political party, Rashtriya Janata Dal. It was formed as a breakaway of Janata Dal. Lalu Prasad Yadav was elected as the first president of RJD.
Ideology of Rashtriya Janata Dal
Rashtriya Janata Dal places itself in the collective aspirations of people and communities striving to carve out a society based on the premises of social justice and secularism. Since its commencement, the Rashtriya Janata Dal is persistently working as the voice of the socially and economically downtrodden sections of the society. The RJD believes in working on and propagating socialist politics and for achieving this, the party has been developing solidarity network of landless labourers, peasants and farmers other weaker groups, in addition to progressive people from other sections of the society.
Popular Leaders of Rashtriya Janata Dal
- Lalu Prasad Yadav: Founder of RJD, Lalu Prasad Yadav is an Indian politician from the state of Bihar. He is the President of the Rashtriya Janata Dal, former Chief Minister of Bihar (1990-1997), former UPA Minister of Railways and former Member of Parliament (MP) of the 15th Lok Sabha. He is one of the most popular leaders in the list of famous leaders in Rashtriya Janata Dal.
- Rabri Devi: Rabri Devi Yadav became the first woman Chief Minister of Bihar on 25th July 1997. She is a Member of the Legislative Council for Bihar Vidhan Parishad who has served three terms as the CM of Bihar (1st term: 25 July 1997 to 11 February 1999, 2nd term: 9 March 1999 to 2 March 2000, 3rd term: 11 March 2000 to 6 March 2005). She is the former Railway Minister of India and is one of the most famous leaders in Rashtriya Janata Dal.
- Tejashri Prasad Yadav: Tejashwi Prasad Yadav is an Indian politician and former cricketer. Currently, he is the leader of opposition in Bihar Legislative Assembly and the youngest opposition leader in the whole country. He was the former Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar and is one of the most popular leaders in Rashtriya Janata Dal.
The Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) strongly stands against communalism in any form. It draws inspiration from Gandhian values such as non-violence and also follows the great tradition of the socialist leaders,. The party believes that the right of peaceful and democratic dissent including Satyagraha or non-violent resistance is a fundamental right of the people.