- Akhilesh Yadav is the youngest person to have held the office of Chief Minister, at the age of 38.
- ‘Do or Die’ spirit is a guiding force of the Samajwadi Party for upliftment of the downtrodden groups of the society.
Samajwadi Party (SP) is an Indian political party headquartered in New Delhi and the largest recognised state party of the country. It was founded on 4th October, 1992. It is primarily based in Uttar Pradesh, a northern state in India. It describes itself as a as a socialist democratic party. The Samajwadi Party was one of the several parties that emerged when the Janata Dal (People’s League) fragmented into several regional parties. It is led by former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Akhilesh Yadav after he was chosen the President by the National Convention held on 1 January 2017.
Having a secular and democratic ideology, the Samajwadi Party believes in creating a socialist society, which works on the principle of equality. The Samajwadi Party believes in working persistently towards the upliftment of weaker sections of society and it stands strong against communal forces. ‘Do or Die’ spirit is a guiding force of the Samajwadi Party for upliftment of the downtrodden groups of the society. The Samajwadi Party symbol is bicycle.
Important Leaders of Samajwadi Party
1. Shri Mulayam Singh Yadav: Fondly and reverently addressed as Netaji, Shri Mulayam Singh Yadav is one of the most popular leaders in the List Of Famous Leaders In Samajwadi Party. He has served as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the terms 1989 to 1991, from 1993 to 1995, and from 2003 to 2007 and also served as the Defence Minister in the Government of India from 1996 to 1998. He formulated policies and took action to ensure that the poor and backward sections of society lived in harmony, and people from all religions, castes and social backgrounds contributed towards the growth of the state.
2. Akhilesh Yadav: Akhilesh Yadav is the current President of the Samajwadi Party and he also served as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh from 2012 to 2017. He assumed office on 15 March 2012 at the age of 38 and is the youngest person to have held the office. He is one of the most popular leaders in Samajwadi Party.
3. Janeshwar Mishra (5 August 1933 – 22 January 2010): He was a politician from Samajwadi Party who was a member of the Parliament of India and also represented UP in the Rajya Sabha. He was known as Chhote Lohia in reference to Shri Ram Manohar Lohia for his commitment towards socialist ideology. He was one of the most famous leaders in the Samajwadi Party.
4. Mohammad Azam Khan: Azam Khan is an Indian politician, founder member of the Samajwadi party and a member of the seventeenth Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh in India. He is one of the Samajwadi Party leaders. He was also the senior most Cabinet Minister in the Government of Uttar Pradesh and has been a member of the legislative assembly for nine terms, all from Rampur assembly constituency.